On Tuesday, PM Modi addresses India on 2nd International Yoga Day. He joined over 30,000 people in Chandigarh for the International Yoga Day celebrations. Mr. Modi said that yoga is “not a religious practice”. It should not be made controversial.
Here are the main points from his speech.
- International Yoga Day has become a people’s mass movement.
- Yoga is not about what one will get. It is about what one can give up.
- It is Important to integrate Yoga with our lives. Do not wait, make Yoga a part of one’s life.
- Let’s make Yoga more popular globally. Let India produce good Yoga teachers.
- Yoga will connect you to yourself. Which is vital in these times when everyone is so busy.
- PM Modi urged people to embrace yoga like the way they have taken to the mobile phone. He said it “gives us health assurance at zero budget”.
- PM Modi pitched for treating diseases like diabetes through the ancient spiritual discipline.
- Prime Minister announced Two awards. For the people, who are working to popularize yoga in India and abroad.
Also, President Pranab Mukherjee took part in the Yoga Day session as well. Along with around 1000 people at Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi.
— President of India (@RashtrapatiBhvn) June 21, 2016
57 ministers across India, including union ministers Rajnath Singh, Venkaiah Naidu and Smriti Irani, also led sessions. Rajnath led a yoga event braving the rain in Lucknow.
— ANI (@ANI_news) June 21, 2016