Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday launched BHIM mobile application to promote and make digital transactions easier. BHIM stands for Bharat Interface for Money. It lets you make quick payments using a Unified Payment Interface (UPI). We will try to explain, how to use BHIM app.
How to use BHIM APP
- Go to Google Play Store. Search for BHIM.
- Or use this link to go directly to the app’s page. The app is developed by National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI).
Step 2: Install the BHIM app.
Step 3. The application is capable of verifying automatically. You just have to allow the app to access the device’s SMS.
Step 4. Set up the passcode to unlock the application. You can use a toggle to hide or view the passcode.
Step 5: Select a bank from the list.
BHIM app currently supports 31 banks. They will add more banks later. The application automatically retrieves the account information in a secure way, and it is a feature of UPI.
Note: The phone number you are using has to be linked to the bank account, and mobile banking has to be enabled on the bank account.
Step 6: Set up a payment address.
By Default, the system will generate an address for you. It will look like “your phone number @UPI”. Good news is, you can change it. You will see a list of suggestions by application for the address. But you can use your own. For example, I am using my email address without [email protected], so I can remember it easily.
To add an additional payment option
- Tap on Profile section.
- Go to Add Payment address.
Step 7: On your profile page, you will see a QR code. This is a system generated code. You can use it as print out to accept payment. Or you can share it directly as well. Useful for merchants.
Note: Every UPI address has its own unique QR code.
Step 8: You also have an option called secure QR code. This is different from QR code linked to your account. It is valid only for a one-time transaction. You can send this via email or can use it as print out. Anyone who scans the QR code gets the money credited to his or her account.
Benefits of BHIM apps
- Unlike Paytm, BHIM app is directly synced to the bank account. Also, it is developed by NPCI, which is the most reliable option to the citizens.
- All the Transactions happen directly from the bank accounts. Also, there are no additional charges for this.
- It is available on Play store. Soon, it will be available for iOS.
- If you don’t have a smartphone, Dial, *99# from your ordinary set to access it.
- All payments are instant and 24×7. Even if the person is not using BHIM App, you can make the payment via IFSC, account number or MMID, mobile number.
- BHIM doesn’t necessarily require an Aadhar linked bank account.
- Friendly user interface.
Limitation of BHIM app
There are certain limitations of BHIM App.
- Transaction limits:10,000 per transaction permitted, and Rs. 20,000 within 24 hours.
- You can add only one bank account at a time.
- You can have only two Virtual payment address. The first would be default containing your mobile number while you can set the second VPA.
- NPCI imposes a limit of 20 successful UPI transactions per linked bank account per day.
List of supported banks on BHIM App
Allahabad Bank, Andhra Bank, Axis Bank, Bank of Baroda, Bank of India, Bank of Maharashtra, Canara Bank, Catholic Syrian Bank, Central Bank of India, DCB Bank, Dena Bank, Federal Bank, HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank, IDBI Bank, IDFC Bank, Indian Bank, Indian Overseas Bank, IndusInd Bank, Karnataka Bank, Karur Vysya Bank, Kotak Mahindra Bank, Oriental Bank of Commerce, Punjab National Bank, RBL Bank, South Indian Bank, Standard Chartered Bank, State Bank of India, Syndicate Bank, Union Bank of India, United Bank of India, Vijaya Bank.
The application is available only in Hindi and English for now. They have the plan to add support for more languages soon. The app is not available on Windows Mobile, BlackBerry OS devices, iOS or feature phones.
There is support for other operating systems coming soon, which means that a version of the application for Windows Mobile is expected. The CEO of Niti Aayog, Amitabh Kant has indicated that an iOS version of the application will be landing before January 10.
BHIM App Update 1.2
The new version 1.2 offers enhanced security features and superior user experience which makes digital transactions much more safe and secure.
The key features of the latest version 1.2 includes,
- Addition of seven new languages apart from existing English and Hindi.
- “Pay to Aadhaar Number” has been introduced as a payment option wherein customer can transfer money to the Aadhaar number linked with beneficiaries bank account.
- Introduced “SPAM Report” for collect requests. This feature will help a user to block unknown persons requesting for money.
- Improvised Customer Redress Mechanism with drop down menu.