Google has updated their Google My Business guidelines. It now explains that how a business should list their address for service-area businesses and virtual offices.
Here are the Google My Business guidelines Update for Service-area businesses.
- Create your page with actual location, real world location.
- Use a precise, accurate address to describe your business location. PO Boxes or mailboxes located at remote locations are not acceptable.
- Suite numbers, floors, building numbers, etc. may also be included. Information like cross-streets and nearby landmarks should only be included in regions where the official street address doesn’t accurately pinpoint the business’s location.
- If you need to specify a mailbox or suite number within your physical location, please list your physical address in Address Line 1, and put your mailbox or suite number in Address Line 2.
- If your business rents a temporary, “virtual” office at a different address from your primary business, do not create a page for that location unless it is staffed during your normal business hours.
- Do not add information in address lines that does not pertain to your business’s physical location (e.g. URLs or keywords).
- Do not create more than one page for each location of your business, either in a single account or multiple accounts.
- Individual practitioners and departments within businesses, universities, hospitals, and government buildings may have separate pages. See specific guidelines about individual practitioners and departments for more information.
- If your address doesn’t have a street number, or you’re sure that you’ve entered the address correctly but the system still can’t find it, you can pin your business’s location directly on the map by following these steps.
Service-area businesses are those businesses that serve customers at their locations. They should have one page for the central office or location and designate a service area from that point.
Service-area businesses can’t list a “virtual” office unless that office is staffed during business hours.
Some businesses, like pizzerias that have both have restaurant seating and deliver pizza to customers, are hybrid service-area businesses. These businesses can show their storefront address and designate a service area in Google My Business.
If you serve customers at your address and want to set a service area, your business location should be staffed by your team and able to receive customers during its stated hours.
Google will determine how best to display your business address based on your business information as well as information from other sources.